The Cathedral’s Tower is one of the most significant architectural references for every visitor who comes to Segovia. That is why it deserves a separate presentation. Its lean structure and singularity makes it the flagship of this temple, known by many people as the ‘Lady of the Cathedrals’.
From the distance, the Tower -which with its current 288,714 ft. tall was, on its days, the tallest tower of the whole Spain,- defines the skyline of the city, leaving the Cathedral almost floating between Heaven and earth framed, as well, between the different smaller towers from the Romanesque churches. -It is worth noting that Segovia is one of the Spanish cities with the greatest number of churches.-
With a squared floor plant, the Tower -essence of the Cathedral, -was firstly built in a Gothic style. In its origins, it was crowned by a wooden spire that raised the tower until the height of 354,331 ft. Unfortunately, on the year 1614, during a storm, a lightning provoked a fire that destroyed the spire.
That event gave the architect Juan de Mugaguren the idea of placing a dome built in the Herrerian style and a stone spire instead. Both of them remain until the present days.
By looking closely, it can be established that this dome is quite similar to the one on the transept. This is because Juan de Mugaguren will finish the one of the tower in 1615, at the same time that the pentagonal chapels of the ambulatory were being built.
Nowadays, the tower can be visited in guided tours entering from the Chapel of Saint Blas. Along the visit, there is a submersion in the history of the Cathedral beginning with a brief introduction in the Chapel, carried out by an expert guide of the temple.